You are a group member!
Walk Across America
Make a commitment to yourself (and have a little fun) and join this annual Walk Across America!
Join us for this great journey to wellness!!
The TRI Walk Across America Challenge is designed to help people with their motivation and excitement about exercise. Participating with others not only holds one accountable, but provides an opportunity to encourage each other. Having a goal helps with motivation.
Walk Across America Introduction Video
· The program is designed to run for 12 weeks. A week will be counted from Monday through Sunday. The full challenge period will be February 1 – April 24, 2016.
· Participants will track their progress through an online mapping system to log mileage and track progress across the US throughout the 12 weeks.
· This is an individual challenge, not a team challenge. The foundation for the program is based on the 10,000 steps a day concept, in which 10,000 steps equals 5 miles (2,000 steps = one mile). There are three routes to choose from to accommodate different exercise levels. The route to Chicago, IL is designed to get you to your goal if you did, indeed, walk 10,000 steps a day. The route to Miami, FL is the route people should take if they are training for an event or are already exercising multiple times a week for extended periods of time. The Denver, CO route is designed for those who are starting an exercise program, or who know they need a more moderate challenge than 10,000 steps a day. Since it is not possible to make it to any of these destinations in 12 weeks by walking, we will be applying a 5x multiplier to each mile to boost people along. (This calculation will be done for you when you enter your miles on the website, you do not have to calculate it yourself.)
· Other forms of exercise besides walking will count too. The tracking system includes a logging tool that allows you to indicate time and exertion level of the exercise and the tool will convert it into miles for you.
· You can log your miles at the end of the day or as the day progresses. If you miss a day or two, there is a mileage calendar that can be used to log miles. Each time you log miles you will see your avatar move along the route. A new photo from the state you are currently passing through will show and your dashboard will be updated. As you travel along you will be able to watch the progress of your fellow participants too!
If you have any questions about the challenge, please contact Robbin Bull, 503-838-8562.
Additional program materials can be found in the Materials Menu Tab.
Log miles and track progress at: triwou.org/wam
Take a tour of the Walk Across America online platform.