Becoming a Driver Ed Instructor
Oregon Administrative Rules require all Driver Ed instructors who teach for an Oregon Department of Transportation – Transportation Safety Division (ODOT-TSD) approved program to complete an approved instructor training series.
In addition to taking the training classes, approved Driver Ed instructors must also meet the following criteria:
- Hold a valid Oregon driver license, or a license from a state adjacent to Oregon if the person is a legal resident of that state and has had valid driving privileges for at least three years.
- Be 21 years of age.
- Have current First Aid & CPR certification.
- Meet these driving record qualifications:
- Not more than one driver impairment violation within the preceding 12 months or more than two within the preceding 24 months.
- No drug or alcohol-related traffic violation, conviction or infraction within the preceding five years.
- No driver's license suspension, cancellation, revocation or denial within the preceding three years.
- Not have a conviction for any of the crimes listed in OAR 737-015-0070 (A criminal history check is required before beginning the training program).
- Complete a minimum of 15 hours of continuing education every two years.
- Teach a minimum of 30-hours in an ODOT-TSD approved program every two years.
- Individuals employed by a commercial driving school may be subject to additional requirements.
WOU offers classes in various locations throughout the state. Please see our schedule of courses to register for an upcoming class. If you require an accommodation to participate in this WOU activity, please notify us prior to registering for a course at firstname.lastname@example.org.
It is very important to ensure that you have the proper equipment before the course starts MUST HAVE:
- Laptop (both Mac and PC are acceptable) - to be brought to class each week
- Basic level of proficiency in the use of your computer software. (Be able to open, change, save as, upload, scan, download, and send documents, and navigate web pages.)
- Microsoft Office – this link will take you to the Microsoft site where you can choose and purchase the version of Office that works best for you.
- Adobe Reader – this link will take you to the Adobe site where you can download the FREE Adobe Reader software
- Internet access
- NO IPADS.