Becoming a Driver Ed Instructor
Oregon Administrative Rules require all Driver Ed instructors who teach for an Oregon Department of Transportation – Transportation Safety Division (ODOT-TSD) approved program to complete an approved instructor training series.
In addition to taking the training classes, approved Driver Ed instructors must also meet the following criteria:
- Hold a valid Oregon driver license, or a license from a state adjacent to Oregon if the person is a legal resident of that state and has had valid driving privileges for at least three years.
- Be 21 years of age.
- Have current First Aid & CPR certification.
- Meet these driving record qualifications:
- Not more than one driver impairment violation within the preceding 12 months or more than two within the preceding 24 months.
- No drug or alcohol-related traffic violation, conviction or infraction within the preceding five years.
- No driver's license suspension, cancellation, revocation or denial within the preceding three years.
- Not have a conviction for any of the crimes listed in OAR 737-015-0070.
- Complete a minimum of 15 hours of continuing education every two years.
- Teach a minimum of 30-hours in an ODOT-TSD approved program every two years.
- Individuals employed by a commercial driving school may be subject to additional requirements.
WOU offers classes in various locations throughout the state. Please see our schedule of courses to register for an upcoming class.