ODOT Instructor Application
ODOT-Transportation Safety Division has contracted with Western Oregon University to issue certificates to qualified Driver Education instructors. This certificate will demonstrate to your employer and anyone else who is interested that you are certified to teach in an approved driver education program.All instructors teaching in an ODOT-TSD approved program must hold a current certification card from ODOT/WOU. Instructors are not permitted to teach with an expired certification.
What is the Process?
- Instructors will apply for a certificate through WOU, providing necessary paperwork.
- WOU will determine if the instructor meets requirements.
- If qualified, WOU will mail a certificate.
- If not qualified, WOU will notify individual of items needing correction.
- Upon receipt of certificate, individual will provide their employer a copy.
- Instructor is responsible for attending a minimum of 15 hours of continuing education every two years. In most cases, these hours will be reported directly to WOU by the training provider.
- If there is a change in status, employer, or contact information, instructor must notify WOU.
- When the two-year expiration date is near, WOU will contact instructor with a reminder to reapply.
Responsibilities of New Instructors
- Meet all qualification requirements as outlined in the Oregon Administrative Rules.
- Apply for certificate through WOU's online system.
- Applicants will need to provide the following documents to WOU via email (email@example.com), fax (503-838-8150) or mail to: Traffic Safety Education, Teaching Research Institute, 345 N Monmouth Ave, Monmouth OR 97361
- Current First Aid certification
- Current CPR certification
- If requested, applicant may need to provide a recent certified court print, proof of continuing education hours, or verification of teaching history.
- Be sure to provide WOU your current email address – the majority of correspondence regarding certification will come via email, and you are responsible for providing a current email address in order to receive correspondence.
- Provide employer with copy of your certificate upon receipt.