What if I don’t have my 30 hours of teaching?
If an instructor is lacking documentation of 30 hours of classroom, behind-the-wheel or simulator instruction in the past two years, a Western Oregon University (WOU) Lead Trainer will evaluate teaching competency. An instructor is required to contact WOU to request an evaluation and he/she must pay a $25 processing fee.
WOU will determine how, when and where the instructor's evaluation will take place. When possible, this evaluation will be within 60 miles of the individual's location.
In some cases, WOU may encourage the instructor to travel to a location more accessible to the lead trainer, or may need to schedule the evaluation around other training opportunities to make the best use of resources. Instructors are encouraged to maintain their qualifications to reduce additional cost associated with reevaluation.
For a candidate who teaches both classroom and behind-the-wheel (BTW), the lead trainer may determine which modality will be evaluated, or whether both will be evaluated. A classroom lesson must be from an approved curriculum. An in-car lesson must be on an approved drive route. An instructor may be required to provide his or her own student(s) and/or vehicle. In no case, shall a lead trainer evaluate an instructor hired by his/her own program.
Either of the following methods may be used to evaluate instructor teaching competency:
- Observe the instructor during a lesson. Preferably, the instructor will teach teens, but at the discretion of the lead trainer the instructor may "teach" adults for the purpose of this evaluation.
- The lead trainer may approve the instructor through means other than teaching observation. To request an evaluation, contact us at email@example.com.
What if I no longer meet the qualifications required for the certification?
An instructor certification may be revoked if the instructor no longer meets the qualifications specified in Oregon Administrative Rules. If WOU becomes aware that an instructor no longer meets the driving record requirements, ODOT will immediately be notified via email or phone call to the Driver Education Program Manager. The following process will be followed at that time:
- WOU will send a letter to the instructor, notifying them that they are no longer approved by ODOT-TRANSPORTATION SAFETY DIVISION to teach Driver Education. This letter will also request that he/she mail their certification card to WOU.
- WOU will notify the affected employer(s) to let them know that the instructor is no longer able to teach.
- If the individual fails to return certification card after several reminders, ODOT may choose to address the issue with DOJ. If the individual chooses to reapply for approval later when their violation(s) have expired, they will need to begin the application process from the beginning.