Traffic Safety Education
Initial Driver Education Instructor Certification
After completing the necessary steps for the Initial Driver
Instructor Certification, please allow two weeks for your application to
be processed and
your certification to be completed and card mailed out.
How do I become a certified Driver Ed instructor?
Oregon has one of the best driver education instructor training programs in the entire nation. In order to keep the quality of our program uniformly high and ensure that teens receive consistent and thorough instruction, all individuals who wish to teach Driver Education in an ODOT-approved program are required to first complete a rigorous traffic safety education curriculum that is coordinated through Western Oregon University. These courses are offered in various locations throughout the state (see the Schedule of Courses). After completing the Traffic Safety Education course, these are the steps to follow:
- Upon completing the Traffic Safety Education course, candidate instructors apply for a certificate through WOU that shows they have passed the traffic safety education training and are eligible to be hired as an instructor by one of the ODOT-approved driver education programs. (The link to apply for this certificate is below next to the CERTIFIED logo. The process may take 1-2 weeks after you submit your application.)
- WOU will determine if the instructor meets requirements.
- If qualified, WOU will mail a certificate.
- If not qualified, WOU will notify individual of items needing correction.
- Upon receipt of the certificate, individuals will provide their employer a copy.
- The instructor is responsible for attending a minimum of 15 hours of continuing education every two years. In most cases, these hours will be reported directly to WOU by the training provider.
- If there is a change in status, employer, or contact information, the instructor must notify WOU.
- When the two-year expiration date is near, WOU will email the instructor with a 60-day and 30-day reminder to reapply. Emails are sent to the latest address we have; be sure we have your current email.
ODOT-approved Instructor Application
ODOT-Transportation Safety Division has contracted with Western Oregon University to issue certificates to qualified Driver Education instructors. This certificate will demonstrate to your employer and anyone else who is interested that you are certified to teach in an approved driver education program.All instructors teaching in an ODOT-TSD approved program must hold a current certification card from ODOT/WOU. Instructors are not permitted to teach with an expired certification.
Responsibilities of New Instructors
- Meet all qualification requirements as outlined in the Oregon Administrative Rules.
- Apply for certificate through WOU's online system.
- Applicants will need to provide the following documents to WOU via email (email@example.com), fax (503-838-8150) or mail to: Traffic Safety Education, The Research Institute at WOU, 345 N Monmouth Ave, Monmouth OR 97361
- Current First Aid certification
- Current CPR certification
- If requested, applicant may need to provide a recent certified court print, proof of continuing education hours, or verification of teaching history.
- Be sure to provide WOU your current email address – the majority of correspondence regarding certification will come via email, and you are responsible for providing a current email address in order to receive correspondence.
- Provide employer with copy of your certificate upon receipt.
Approved Instructors & ProvidersCheck the status of an instructor's certification here.
The Research Institute : Western Oregon University : 345 N. Monmouth Ave. : Monmouth, OR 97361
Contact Us: 800-438-9376 | firstname.lastname@example.org