Facilitating Research Funding at WOU
The Sponsored Research Office (SRO), a service to Western Oregon University faculty and staff and coordinated through The Research Institute, is responsible for reviewing and submitting proposals to extramural sponsors for research, training, instructional and other activities. SRO also prepares, negotiates, and accepts agreements for projects funded by federal and state agencies, foundations, and other public and private sources.
Our responsibilities include:
- Identifying funding sources
- Assisting faculty/staff in conceptualizing, developing, and writing proposals
- Submitting all externally funded grants and contracts
- Providing advice to faculty and staff members regarding the management and administration of sponsored projects;
- Interpreting the terms and conditions of awards; interpreting sponsor and university policies, and government regulations;
- Monitoring institutional compliance with government regulations and award requirements;
- Drafting, negotiating, executing, and monitoring sub-agreements under WOU's prime awards;
- Coordinating pre-award and non-accounting post-award actions requiring institutional or sponsor prior approval; and
- Drafting, negotiating and executing various other agreements related to WOU's prime awards, such as data-use and collaboration agreements.